Sunday, October 16, 2011

Things that I love about London

'ello all! It has been a while since I've updated and I've been keeping very busy. Between my Historic London class where we walk around London for two hours each week, and free time on the weekends, I've been seeing a lot of the city. Instead of running through all of the sites I've seen, some touristy and some not, I figured I'd make a list of things that I've come to love here. Because there are lots.


1. The diversity- London is incredibly diverse. There are over 300 languages spoken in London. I love going through my day hearing different languages, some that I can't even recognize. There is a huge population of international students at City University too so my classes are all made up of people from lots of different countries which provides lots of diverse perspectives. Basically, I love that as an American I feel like the minority. It's so refreshing to feel like I'm not living in my own teeny tiny world.

2. The transportation system- underground, overground, train, bus, bike. Yes, it's expensive, but it's easy and everywhere and everyone uses it. People even have little bikes that they can fold up and take inside once they get to their destination. Even though the tube closes frustratingly early and various lines are closed every weekend, it's impossible to not get to somewhere. If you have a map, you will get there. The Denver light rail needs to step it up...

3. The fashion- London fashion is amazing. It's this mix of elegance, and edge. I'm in love with women's shoes here. They're masculine but chic, strong and sophisticated. Fashion is so individual here unlike in the US how one specific trend can take over and everyone wears it the same way. And now that the weather is getting colder, you get to see all the beautiful coats. And if for some reason you don't get enough fashion on the streets, you can just pop into Harrods- a museum of a department store with pieces from ALL of the top fashion designers. You can easily get lost in there for a day perusing the genius and art of designers of the world.

4. The size- London is just massive. London and it's boroughs span over 600 square miles and has a population of over 7 million. I'm not much of a people watcher, but people watching here is so interesting. And in terms of the city itself, I don't think you could ever run out of things to do and see here.  

5. Scones and clotted cream- no explanation necessary. 


No comments:

Post a Comment