Tuesday, October 4, 2011

First week of modules

Hey guys! 1 week down, 9 weeks to go. I guess I should start by talking about some of the many differences in the British education system. For starters, it's MUCH more independent. Lecturers give you the topics of each class and expect you to come prepared using any means you deem fit. They usually give you a list of suggested reading which you can choose from. In one of my syllabi, the list was 8 pages long. You also only have class once a week, although some of my classes meet for 3 hours- aka REALLY LONG. And all of my 3 hour classes seem to fall over lunch so it's extra difficult to focus. Another difference is that you go into uni knowing what you want to study and you take courses in that specialty for your whole 3 years, unlike how we get a broad liberal arts knowledge at DU. So that means all of the kids in my International Politics module all really know their stuff and are super passionate about the subject, whereas I feel quite new to the subject. This is actually kinda nice once you get beyond the intimidation factor- it pushes me and brings about some really great conversation.

I had my orchestra audition which was slightly unnecessary because I am the only cellist in the orchestra. But I met the conductor who was very pleasant and I think it may be a good experience regardless. When I told my teacher here, Alice, about this she offered to have me play in her semi-professional orchestra, the Bromley Symphony. I had my first rehearsal with them last night and it was great! Really good quality musicians and a fantastic conductor. Apart from getting home at 23:30, I think I'll look forward to it every week (don't worry mom, very safe and well lit all the way home!)

After my orchestra audition, I attempted to find the football practice, however it was at a different venue this time. With very poor directions and no phone numbers, I hopped on the number 4 bus and rode for about 30 minutes. After lots of confusing....well confusion, I ended up in a really beautiful park. I asked a Turkish man with his young son if he knew where the pitch was and he said he thought it might be a bit further in but he was walking the same way so I walked with him and his son for a while. We had a really nice conversation while he played with his little boy. The boy picked his dad a flower and then rubbed it on his shirt, laughed and ran off. We went in separate directions and I watched as the man and son enjoyed their walk on the beautiful London day. You all probably know how much I hate getting lost- it usually puts me in an awful mood but this time, I was able to appreciate the beauty around me and shrug it off. I never made it to training but I was really proud of myself for turning a stressful situation into something positive.

I'm really starting to settle in here and keep learning things about myself and the world all the time. Next week I hope to add some pictures of the area I live in. Good night for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment